Sunday, January 28, 2007

Morning


Now that Mark is awake all day, I've been staying with him until 9:30 or 10pm. I'm sorry that's it's not given me much time to update everyone.

Here's a picture of Mark feeding himself dinner last night.

Some important tips when visiting:

DO NOT GIVE HIM ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK unless you get an okay from his nurse. He's restricted to a certain size and texture of food, and all his drinks must be thickened to avoid aspiration. Due to his cognitive issues, you can’t depend on asking him.

DO NOT GET HIM UP FROM THE BED OR CHAIR OR INTO THE BATHROOM. Please ask the nurse for help if Mark needs something. He sometimes doesn’t realize his limitations.

His gaze is getting better, but unless your head is on his level or lower, he might not recognize you by your voice alone because he can’t look up. It’s still important to speak slowly and only one person at a time. Give him plenty of time to answer your questions or initiate a conversation of his own.

Please remember, this is information for a good visit for you and Mark, don’t let these instructions keep you from visiting. He loves to get visitors. Please stop by soon.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could visit you, Mark - but for the moment I'll just have to type away. You're in our thoughts everyday and the first thing I do at the computer in the AM is to check on your progress which lately has been astounding. Keep it up, dear friend and soak up all the love. We're looking forward to seeing the MARK GOES HOME post.

Anonymous said...

NOw thats what I'm talking about. Looking good buudy. I'm sorry I did not make it over this weekend. My dad was having trouble getting things down around the house and needed my help. Deb, Adam and I are all cheering your progress. This has got to be great research for the next novel. See you soon.

Alan

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,

You are living up to all my childhood thoughts that you are superman! And can do anything! Keep up the great work and we will come and see you again once we are all over the cold thing (Hopefully this weekend).

love,

Scott, Leslie, Brandon & Zachary.

Anonymous said...

This picture ....with profile..shows your loverly shaped head...I well remember your doctor( when you were a wee child) commenting on the beautiful shape of your head.....and I thought, at the time...what a "silly" thing to say!!! But now, we can appreciate the shape and all the good stuff that's inside it.
Yo momma

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad to hear of the great progress that Mark has made. Keep it up ! Hope to stop by for a visit next week. Hugs, Tracy

Anonymous said...

Thanks Chris for keeping us posted--there's no need to apologize to anyone. You chose to take the helm and I know all us Mark/Rico/Wildman fans are glad you did. It's gonna be a long and winding road so sit tight.
But please plant one big smooch on him fer me.xxoo Kevin

Anonymous said...

Ptomaine George kin make ya a burger iffin' ya want. (Inside joke fer Cowboy shooters).

GLAD to SEE that you are doing better..... hope you can make the shoots at Quinton... at least to visit. Maybe yer Gal Pal will come along with ya.... sure would like to meet her. Maybe we kin git her interested in the sport : )