Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Evening

Mark continues to hold onto his progress today. His intracranial pressures have remained down and his temp has been normal since yesterday. His cycles of alertness have increased in frequency and duration and although he cannot speak because of the trach, he is able to mouth some words. He is still extremely sleepy but this is not unexpected behavior considering the location of his bleed. His favorite thing now is to pucker up for a kiss. When I say reassuring things to him, he even smiles. And he winks at me! I asked him if he had a twitch and he winked again. I asked him to "do what I do" so I could test his vision, and I winked with the other eye, and he did too. I think his vision is better than the doctors had warned us.

I attended the aneurism and AVM support group annual holiday dinner tonight. I was disappointed that they didn’t have a speaker, but while we ate relatively good hospital food, people did come over to our table since we were all new faces. The best part was that I couldn’t tell the former patients from the spouses and friends!

Mark’s mother, Maggie arrived this evening in time for the 8 o’clock visit. Mark was alert the entire time.

We’re waiting out the cultures and when his bacterial infection is gone, we will be proceeding with his final steps that will get him to rehab.

There is another woman that I spend a lot of time with and her husband (the only other patient that has something similar to what Mark has) has an AVM. His is having his own ups and downs and has been in the hospital a week short of Mark. We joke that when our guys are in Bryn Mawr rehab, we’ll be recuperating at Hazeldon! We even went out to lunch today. A big step for both of us.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those steps are very important. Take them if thats what it takes.
Hey Mike--howdy from a long time ago

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news--he is responding to your instructions! His entry to rehab will be very very soon-like then it will be the active research for the book unlike the passive period of the last few days.

Blessings and Hugs to you both!
Ozden

Kelley said...

I can feel my anxiety level dropping.

ben_okopnik said...

Wow. Good, really good to hear that the pressure is going down (both the literal and the figurative, for you and the people around you.) Mark - keep on healing, man! There's a lot of life left for you to do yet - laughing with friends, swimming with dolphins, howling at the moon... y'know, being the same old Mark. Maybe not quite the same, actually - a bit wiser , a bit less willing to buy into bullshit and stress.

It sure is good to hear that you're heading back up toward the light, man. We're all cheering for you.
-- Ben

Anonymous said...

Pooo-Yie dat's some good news, cher. Man, when he get outta der we gonna have us a cochon de lait, I guarantee! Wid any luck, he gonna be ready to second line at a Mardi Gras parade. Laissez le Bon Temps Roulet.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Mark. Mark and I worked together at GSK (along with Bob Leone - no relation). We were sort of the dynamic trio always complaining and laughing, seeing the humor in the ridicules management at GSK and how it affected our positions. It was more me listening (and laughing) to Marks eloquent phrase and poise.

I wish him a speedy recovery and you the strength to keep your spirits especially now since we are in the holiday season.

Ron Leone

Kat said...

Ben's already said what I'd say, so let me just add:

Hey, Mark? Don' skeer us like that no more, y'hear?

*HUGS*

--Kat

Anonymous said...

Ok now that's more like it ! If you're puckering up for smootchers, you must be on the way back. Keeping tabs and sending hugs and prayers. Talk to you soon ! Tracy

Anonymous said...

Chris – you are a God sent for our friend and brother Mark – thank you for your support and love.
Mark old friend – my best to you sir, know you are in my heart and in my prayers - we have many more stories to tell and share, out time is not done old friend. We still have that Civil War trail to make in 2011
Love You – Tex
San Jose California
PS: Bill Champ how the hell are you old friend – ttyner@adobe.com

Anonymous said...

Chris: I cannot thank you enough for keeping up this blog and keeping up my spirits. This is great news we are getting (12/14/2006). I love that Mark's winking at you; this shows me he is beginning to be his old self. I stop by to see you this weekend buddy. Best love to all. Welcome Maggie hope I get to see you before you leave.

Alan 12-14-2006 5:28pm

Anonymous said...

Mark: Wanted to let you know that I took Adam and two friends to Classic Pistol on Sunday for Adam's 16th. We had a blast and missed you terribly. Bob Franks filled in for you, he is a great friend, and we talked about doing this as soon as you get better.

Guns Shot:

Colt 45 ACP
Colt 45 revolver
Winchester 1911
44 Magnum
9mm Beretta
HK MP-5SD3
AR-15 / M16 rifle

I think I got this correct, but talk with Adam he will have it down to the “T”

Alan

Anonymous said...

Just heard about Mark. Get well soon, bud!

-Shawn Ford
shawnford@earthlink.net