Sunday, December 10, 2006

The second team reporting (Dick). Moderate bounce back today. Fever lower all day. Drains drained. Pressure stayed down. Was awake on and off all day. Had lots of visitors (Chris’s family.) The ENT guy called and we agreed to have a trachoscopy tomorrow (reversible some day) which he says will help with his pneumonia as well as getting the that uncomfortable tube out of his mouth and throat. We had a big laff over the bill for the helicopter -- $9400 for lift off, $450 for mileage (8 mi) and $45 for oxygen. It goes right to the insurance company. The really funny thing is that Chris drove there (couldn’t accompany him in the helo) and arrived at the hospital just as they were delivering him to the ICU. The justification for the helo evac was rush hour traffic!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it a tracheotomy (incision) which produces a tracheostomy (opening)?

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christine said...

A ventilator can only remain in the throat for 7 - 10 days or there is a chance of scarring the windpipe. The tracheostomy will allow the ventilator to move to the throat where it will be more comfortable for Mark and will speed the healing of his pneumonia. Trach's can be very temporary. First they are capped and if all goes well, be removed, stitched up and almost unnoticable.

Anonymous said...

Although I have never met Mark, I did spend a month and a half under Christine's care in Philadelphia. My thoughts and prayers are with Mark and his family. I know if anyone can help him through this difficult time, Christine can.

Anonymous said...

I would be very scared if this was happening to me. I pray that Mark can stay strong through all of this. We miss him here at work and are sending lots of prayers and get well wishes his way.

carly

Anonymous said...

Mark, Someday soon I hope you will read this and see how many people care about you. There are lots of people praying for you. I'm looking forward to my next party and seeing your smiling face. See you soon ! With love and friendship, Tracy

Anonymous said...

Even if I miss a day of checking in with Chris, my thoughts and prayers are always with both you Mark and your Chris. My friends who do not know either of you very well ask daily about your progress. I will be happy to give a more positive report. I can't wait to hear your "opinions" on all of this when the day comes that we can hear your booming voice again. How wonderful that day will be and I am sure that it will be sooner than later. Once again, I remind you mark of how wonderful your Chris is and how lucky you are to have her by your side. Even though you do not seem to be lucky right now, you are truly blessed to have so much love around you.