Sunday, February 11, 2007

Evening

Mark's not afraid of his new found sense of humor getting him into trouble. While I was shaving him yesterday (and I did a damn good job, no signs of blood!) while he sat at the sink in his wheel chair, I kept bumping into the toilet railings, then the arm of the wheel chair, etc. I made a comment that I was clumsy, he said, "No, you just have no idea of the size of your butt." Ah, music to my ears.

He's doing great and looking even better! I made him some tuna salad today and a side of avocado with blue cheese dressing. He decided to mix them together and commented that it would have been even better with a tomato. Then he said yes, a tomato would have been good. Then he said again, wow, I wish I had a tomato. I let all this go, and after a while I asked if he would like to have some lunch time conversation, and he said yes. I asked what he'd like to talk about and he asked if I'd be mad if we talked about tomatoes. I'm still not sure he was kidding. He's been getting obsessive about little things, like damn TOMATOES!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, but there is nothing like a big, juicy, vine ripened Creole Tomato. I pity you poor Yankees and your hot house, picked green, wimpy little tomatos.

Kelley said...

Y'know Chris, it's probably not too late to take him back to Jefferson Neuro and get that mouth of his fine-tuned...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, I know you're coming along fine if you have recovered your 'way with the ladies'! I must remember that line.

Spensah~

Anonymous said...

Hey, what about Italian tomato salad with fresh basil and mozarella? I've got the basil where do you get decent tomatoes in the winter??
Joyce

ben_okopnik said...

Mark was always famous for his subtlety and sensitivity. Not this Mark, of course - some other one - but that's as close as it gets.

Chris, if you need to offer him some gentle correction, I've got a couple of oars you can use as paddles. The traditional spiked club is out - he's had a bit too much of *that* kind of action lately - but warming the other end for him just might give him a slight clue that Something Ain't Right. He appears to be in desperate need of such measures... which is, of course, good news on the healing front and hell on the caregivers.

Life goes on as usual.

-- Ben and Kat, still in L.A.