Thursday, December 07, 2006

Morning

I haven't called the hospital yet. Seems every time I do I head right down there even though I can't see Mark till noon. Today I'm restraining myself and will call later, if at all. But I do have some realizations to share with you today. And I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Early in the blog, a man named Kirk left a message about the Angioma Alliance website - you can see his post a couple of nights ago. This website is definitely lay person friendly. Kirk has the same thing that Mark has but he didn't go into his own history. There's no way for me to reach him but if he reads this again, I want him to know that I found more information there than through all of the staff at the hospital. Here goes my take on the whole thing.

I do know that Mark had a bleed in his mid brain which is part of the brain stem. This type usually bleeds into the tissue, not the skull, which takes longer to dissipate. Bleeding here is responsible for certain symptoms, of which Mark seems to have them all. I've copied a couple of paragraphs here, but if you want to know more, go to http://www.angiomaalliance.org/cainfo.html

Brainstem – The brainstem is the lower extension of the brain, located in front of the cerebellum and connected to the spinal cord. It consists of three structures: the midbrain, pons and medulla oblongata. It serves as a relay station, passing messages back and forth between various parts of the body and the cerebral cortex. Many simple or primitive functions that are essential for survival are located here.The midbrain is an important center for ocular motion while the pons is involved with coordinating eye and facial movements, facial sensation, hearing and balance.
The reticular activating system is found in the midbrain, pons, medulla and part of the thalamus. It controls levels of wakefulness, enables people to pay attention to their environments, and is involved in sleep patterns.


If anyone out there has a digital picture of Mark, please email it to castellano@proofmark.com. And if anyone else can tell me how to post it here, it would be most appreciated.

One last note. I created this blog for all of his friends to keep updated and post notes to him. All of your kind posts about me are extremely touching, but this should be all about Mark. Thank you all for keeping up the posts. MARK WILL JUST LOVE READING THEM SO DON'T HESITATE TO POST EVERY DAY!!! I want someday for all of you to have a chance to meet each other.

Chris

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark: Can't believe Chris is updating us at 4:30 in the morning, but I'm grateful to be able to get the news and find out you are doing better without having to bother her. You are in my thoughts and I'm sending you as many positive vibes as I can. Pam

Anonymous said...

Amigo Rico,
The cowboys are wandering around the range without direction.
You have been the sparkplug
that keeps them shooting in Quinton.We are praying for your full recovery, which is like clearing a jammed rifle, not easy, but you can do it. With Chris for a blessing, you're sure to do okay.
Hang on, partner.

Mild Bill.

Anonymous said...

Keeping a good thought for you, Mark.
-Rod in CA

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark-

Everyone at work misses you and we are looking forward to your return. Stay strong and know that many are praying for you and your healthy recovery.

Hope to see you soon-
Jane

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark - Keep on fighting! So we can go to Outbank again; miss you buddy. Hope you are holding up chris, and thanks for the updates.

Anonymous said...

Chris, stay strong and remember that God states in Psalms 55:22, to, ("throw your burdens upon Him and he himself will sustain you"...) We are thinking of all of you.

regards;

Domis

Anonymous said...

OK WILDMAN--
Annapolis family ties run deep so I had to make some presence known when I/we got the news and link today.
Needless to say, we patiently await hearing the tide has turned and you are on the mend so we can tie up more baby sitters together.
Folks he's been a true cowboy longer than you can imagine.
Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

You are in my thought and prayers -hurry up and get better - we have lots more world left to discuss. Thanks for the updates Christine!

Summer