Monday, January 01, 2007

Evening

Even though Mark was awake all day today, he wasn't as lively and responsive as we was yesterday. I think all the excitement of visitors tuckered him out. But I brought in his favorite soap (Pure and Natural) and shampoo (green apple) and gave him a good washing. I think he liked my bath better than the one the nurses give him. Since my kids read this, I won't go into details. And he smelled like Mark again!

He's had no more fevers but the medicine that they give him in his breathing treatments makes him perspire, which they said was normal.

He's been moving his entire legs, arms and head, and even moves his body a little to get comfortable. When his nurse shined the flashlight in his eyes tonight, she said his pupils weren't sluggish at all, which was a first. And he's beginning to look straight ahead, up till now his eyes were looking to the right only.

Derrick and Tina stopped by today and although I wasn't there, Mark agreed that he enjoyed their visit very much. And Mark had other visitors this morning, but I forget the note they left and don't remember their names. But he remembered their visit when I saw the note and asked him about it.

I'm back to work tomorrow and don't know how much I'll get to see Mark. Hopefully we can work something out so I can leave a little early.

I think he may be transferred to rehab soon. Let's keep our fingers crossed. He told me that the hospital was boring. I offered to read to him again today but he declined. I hope my reading's not as bad as my singing!

4 comments:

Kelley said...

Very good. Chris, tell himm I'll be down soon.

ben_okopnik said...

Welcome to 2007, Mark! Happy New Year, S novym godom, Shinnen Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu, and all that other good stuff. Get thee to rehab and get to work, pal - time's a-wasting, and you've got lots of stuff to do, lots of life to live, and lots of stories to tell. We're all still here and cheering for you!

-- Ben and Kat

Anonymous said...

Yo Buddy: Sorry I didn't get over to see you this weekend. Deb hurt her back and was immobilized. So I was on double duty, maybe that’s triple duty. Husband, Father, Student, Automotive Shop teacher, ect… But the news is good so looks like rehab in 2007. I’ll try to get down to see you this week, possibly Friday after work. Hang tough. You are sorely missed. The Snake Pit ain’t the same without you.

Alan

Anonymous said...

Today jan 2nd, I read that Mark has gone off to rehab!! Wow such great news. I was in to visit him on the 1st and New Years Eve. Both of those days Mark was pretty alert and listened with rapt attention to my and other's pointless but fascinating blabberings. He must have been desperate for any sort of "news". On Sunday, I told him Saddam Hussein had been executed and damn if he didn't already know! So anyway, both those days he showed a noticable improvement over my first visit on Friday morning before visiting hours. On that day, the nurses must not have seen me go in or they just let me go in despite being in the wrong about proper times. Mark was sitting in a chair but was unanimated. He became more alert with time and I learned then that I needed to just say anything and field him yes or no questions. Not really my first experience with talking with no point in mind and with no regard for other's tastes in conversation. Anyway I told him to NOT pull out his various IV lines and I swear he belly laughed. A true chuckle. That one gesture was the most Mark-like thing I saw that day.
I admit that after I left and arrived home I began to cry. I was entirely shocked and dismayed at how flat the otherwise exuberant and ever busy Mark was. And despite having read the blog updates, I still wasn't prepared to witness his state. I called a friend who is a nurse and who knew about Mark's type of "event" and assured me that he was suffering from more than the event itself and that much of his aspect would improve greatly. This friend was so right. His prediction encouraged me to visit those two more times. It was not easy to visit but now I am so glad because I was then treated to seeing the incredible power of the body to heal. Mark had indeed improved greatly.
I admit I'm ashamed of these feelings of dread, but they were the outcome of seeing such a lively friend in such a debilitated state. He had really suffered and I felt greatly for him. I became determined to overcome my feelings because he so obviously was "in there". I would want the same for myself. I also thought of Chris who has faced unimaginable sights, sounds and medical news and who has been by Mark's side non-stop.
So it was nice to meet and talk with Chris and Derek.
Happy New Years Mark...!!
TinaKateGranny