Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sign Hung in Mark's Room Today

Hi,

My name is Mark Seymour, sometimes people call me Rico. I probably won’t respond to Mr. Seymour.

I have poor circulation in my feet, especially my right foot. Because of this, I move it almost constantly, and the colder they are, the faster I move them.

My gaze has been to the right for the last few weeks. This is nothing recent. Although I have been told that in the later evenings when I was most awake, my eyes looked straight ahead and are focused much better. My nurse last weekend even said my pupils were no longer sluggish.

During my last admission, the last thing I was able to do was open my eyes. I don’t know why, but I’ve been told you will get an earlier, better and quicker response to a thumbs up on my right hand than anything else.

Even though I’m a real ladies man, I respond to a deeper male voice better. Go figure.

I wasn’t always like this. Last weekend while I was still in the hospital I was awake and alert from morning till late at night, nodding appropriate answers, writing my name, mouthing words, waving when my friends came to visit.

Please consider this a short term relapse. Help me get out of here soon.

M

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I walked through heavy plastic curtains in my lab for the 100thousanth time and managed to somehow scrape 75% of my cornea off.
Something moved that curtain at the right time and it wasn't MY arm.
Left or right Mark did it when he scratched and I got no doubt.
Kevin

Kat said...

I am *so* glad you put up that sign, Chris - it's been great that you and Dick have been there to speak up for him so often, but given their charting, they really need the extra oomph of something like that note.

Keeping up hope here,

Kat