Sunday, January 07, 2007

Evening

This mornings CAT scan showed increased fluid in the brain. They tried to perform a bedside procedure to inject dye into the spinal fluid in the brain through his shunt and found his shunt not operable. Unless they need to perform the procedure tonight as an emergency, they will operate tomorrow morning. They will do another endoscopy when they perform this to make sure there is no new scar tissue that is preventing the fluid from draining properly. Mark has already had two endoscopies so I expect this to go without a hitch tomorrow. They will also make sure there is no infection in the spinal fluid. This operation takes about 6-8 hours and it’ll probably take him a couple of days to wake up. So don’t expect too much in the next couple of days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you, Mark, Chris and Uncle Dick and sending prayers for steady healing touches from the medical professionals.

Susan and Jim in Olympia

Anonymous said...

ok we'll be there then too.

ben_okopnik said...

Chris, you're a marvel and a treasure. At times like this, I just want to rant and rave... not because I have some silly belief in "justice" or "fairness" (i.e., a special exception in nature for us humans 'cause we're just too cool for words), but... because Mark is my friend, I love him, and I want him awake and alive and grumbling and joking and just being here, fully present in the world - and he's not.

[sigh] There's not much use in frustration. It contributes nothing positive to the world, and it's a morally supine position, in essence saying "there's nothing further I can do". Chris, you've been a brilliant example of perseverance, strength, and ass-kicking-per-requirement; I can do no less in holding on to my best hopes.

-- Ben

bsmith said...

Hi Mark, can't wait to see you when you are up and about.

You are in my thoughts & prayers.

Bob Smith

Anonymous said...

I came back from a week in St. Augustine, confident that I was going to be able to actually talk to you about the beauty of "nights of lights" and the beach. Now you've dived under again and I must wait for you to re-surface. The stories will keep as will my patience and love. Your parents, Chris, your relatives and friends continue with prayers and hope for the future. Hope to hear that deep, gruff voice soon.
Your cousin, Dick Wilson

wilson50@fuse.net

Anonymous said...

Mark, your friends at GSK are still pulling for you. You are in our prayers.
Don Morris

Anonymous said...

Mark, We're thinking of you and praying for your safe return.