Thursday, January 11, 2007

Evening

I was so happy when I got to the hospital and saw that Mark had moved to the 7th floor, but who was in the bed beside him but Evertt, (not to be confused with Ernest)! They moved the Alzheimer’s screamer with him! I wonder if Mark ever got any sleep last night.

Mark seemed okay when I got there, but progressed to a very unresponsive state rather quickly. I paged the resident (bold one that I am) and asked him to come and take a look. I also requested a CAT scan which they performed promptly. It pays to be a bitch; I should have tried it years ago. After the CAT scan they packed up his things and moved him back down to the 6th floor where they would be able to monitor him more closely.

Do you think he likes it there so much that he actually doesn’t want to leave?

All four neuro residents came into the room to do another evaluation around 10 pm. Mark was still unresponsive, but the new head head doctor, the beloved Dr. Pandey (who isn’t nearly as warm and fuzzy now that he thinks I’m the head case) said “remember we talked about waxing and waning”? I didn’t dare tell him that I’m not sure which is the wax and which is the wane, so I just said yes. He said they’ll check some other things tomorrow – like his stomach etc. but that we just have to give it more time.

So, on the way home I called my friend Chris to get a better understanding on this waxing and waning thing. She said waxing was what you did to your floors and when it’s waning you need an umbrella.

It’s a toss up between a drink and a Xanax, and I’m just too lazy to make that damn drink.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know one means more and one means less. You got that Chris? Mark needs a big pucker from us lovers. xxxooo

Anonymous said...

That's why I prefer single malt scotch or a nice anejo tequila, poured in a glass, just as it comes from the bottle. Just like God intended.

Anonymous said...

Chris, hang in there. This is a long, long road. Just hang in there. Mark knows your in his corner and this is a big help for his motivation to keep on keeping on.

Now you do the same, just keep on keeping on!

Kelley said...

Careful Chris, your grousing is slipping dangerously close to poetry.

Anonymous said...

Chris, don't worry, I'll have your drink for you. I just keep shaking my head after reading your notes, and I'm still shaking as I write. Unbelievable. Woody and I are saying nightly prayers--for the both of you. You can do this. Well--you ARE doing this. LON