Friday, December 29, 2006

Afternoon & Evening

Well now, where do I start? I called the hospital this morning around 7:30 and continued to call until 11:30 till I finally could talk to his nurse. She said that PT and OT had him sitting up in a chair – not the bed/chair conversion that he was in the other day. It was really a wheelchair with head support but she assured me that he held up his head and upper body on his own. She was amazed at his progress. When I got down there for my lunch time visit, even though it was after 2pm, he was back in bed and a PT tech was doing range of motion with his limbs, but Mark was very sleepy. Sitting up had taken a lot out of him. At one point, after the tech left, Mark opened his eyes and had a concerned look on his face. I asked him if he was okay and he nodded “no”. I asked if he was in pain and he again nodded “no”. I could tell by the look on his face to ask the next question, if he was depressed, and he nodded “yes”. I told him I wasn’t surprised that he was depressed, but I also told him that a week ago we could hardly wake him up and he could hardly open his eyes. I told him of the phenomenal progress he has made in only one week. I don’t think he really gave a shit what I was saying, but it was the first time that he was so aware of what was going on.

When I got back to the hospital around 6, he was in a deep sleep. He did open his eyes a little but had that blank look and didn’t squeeze my hand. His nurse said that evenings were difficult for him and that’s when he’s the least responsive. And of course, that’s when I do most of my visiting.

So, how about all you folks that have been following my every word? I asked Mark if he would like visitors and he nodded yes. You can visit as early as 11am and I know he would be thrilled.

And Mark was off the ventilator all last night and I think we can see Rehab from here.

4 comments:

Kelley said...

At last.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark--
There can be no doubt that love and compassion come from all directions.
I check on you multiple times daily and just wanted you to know that Mom left for Florida yesterday. I have emailed you pics in return of your Christmas gift to me.
I showed her the blog everyday when she was here. Know we love you and you just keep on keeping on. kob

Anonymous said...

I finally got internet access today after a week without. The first thing I did was check Mark's page. Chris, thanks so much for keeping us all updated. I will be home tomorrow. Mark, Chris is right - that's a lot of progress in one week. Sitting up in a chair and doing PT - that's great. Check in with you tomorrow. Give 'em hell buddy.

meta mora farm said...

hey mark - just checking in - dave the turd