Monday, December 25, 2006

Evening

Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas. We didn't have the usual celebrations this year but it was a great day all around. Mark had no fever today and was awake and very aware for most of the day. He even attempted to write me a note, but all I could read was "It's", which was very very clear. I'll try to get the rest tomororw. He nodded appropriately and even listened to some phone calls I placed for him to his parents and a couple of very close friends. And when I put the TV on tonight to Myth Busters and Law and Order, he even watched them! Unfortunately, those high tech hospital beds rock and roll so much it was difficult to keep his head straight for long to watch the TV.

My biggest thanks today was to my family, who unselfishly gave up our usual holiday celebrations. My oldest daughter Susan, and her husband Mike took over our Christmas Eve celebration of the Italian seven fishes and treated us all out to a wonderful dinner last night. We had a great meal and a few glasses of wine. And to my youngest daughter, Maureen, who had to work today and sadly opened her presents alone. I promise to make it up to both of them when this crisis is over.

And thanks to you all who follow the blog and leave all those great comments. Here's to a better 2007.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello - i feel like a real shit - i have been out of pocket with a new job and no time to keep up with mark's condition and i can't even figure out how to post to the blog. please forgive me - dave kitterman the turd

Anonymous said...

Good news today, Mark. Scott told me he spoke to you on the phone, even if you couldn't. Happy news on this Christmas morning!!! Keep up the good work. Sending you love and good wishes as always, Rhoda

Anonymous said...

Beste vrienden,
De langste nacht is weer geweest,
het licht gaat het weer winnen van het duister.
Bji deze een foto die ik heb genomen van een zonsondergang in Frankrijk
Wij hopen dat jullie in het Nieuwe jaar veel mooie, zonnige dagen zullen hebben.

Rob en Jaxx

Anonymous said...

I am so sad that you are suffering, and that Mark is struggling. I will certainly keep him in my prayers, and we will remember him in our Masses. Thanks for including the blog. What a great tribute to him. It will serve as a reminder to him of all he went through.
You have our prayers. What else can we do for you and Mark?
Maureen

Anonymous said...

Mark and Chris.....Merry Christmas and I continue to pray that Mark will be back on his feet soon and dishing out all his usual blarney. Here's to continued progress and good news and that God keeps you both safe and protected from further harm.
May God grant our greatest wish and that is for Mark to get better soon and keep Chris safe and healthy through all these trials. You both are dears and I pray that I will get to see you both soon. It will have to be while I'm still unemployed so I can choose the time to go.....
See you both soon for hugs and kisses....
Peace and Love to you both,
Kit

ben_okopnik said...

I think I've mentioned this before, but - these things that look like downward changes don't really mean that much; what I'm seeing overall is that Mark is improving, making big strides over time. Don't let the little bumps in the staircase worry you... it's the fact that the whole thing goes up that matters.

The fact that Mark could write that "It's" is simply *awesome*. I'm really, really thrilled for him - and I suspect that rehab is just going to be a mostly pro-forma affair. He's doing really well, given the nature of his illness, and this, for me, is a huge sort of hope and joy.

-- Ben and Kat (still afloat :)