Sunday, December 24, 2006

Morning

I spoke to Mark's night nurse around 5:30 this morning. It seems he likes to be awake during the night. The daytime stimulation may be too much for the healing brain. He had no fever but they were having a difficult time finding a vein for his IV due to the swelling in his arms.

It's almost 11am and I called his day shift nurse. She said she placed the line with no problem and he's waking on and off on his own. He's even responding to questions by nodding his head and knows where he is, the date etc. That's some internal clock! He's also OFF THE VENT and breathing through the trac with extra oxygen.

His colleagues at BMS made him a great poster which I took in to the hospital yesterday. I'll try to take a picture with my cell phone and post it tonight. He listened intently to all their good wishes.

Tomorrow I'm going to print comments from the blog to read to him. So, if you've been holding back, now's the time to post!

I'll be going down to see him mid afternoon, then going to dinner at 7 with my daughters. I'll try to sneak back in late tonight to catch him awake!

When I talked to the resident yesterday, he told me that Mark had his bleed in a very delicate area that most people don't survive. They are amazed that he's doing so well.

I gave Dick Seymour my copy of "It's a Wonderful Life" and I'd like you all to catch it this season too. It's the last few minutes of the film that are important to all of us and that remind me so much of Mark. But I'm not going to tell you what it is, you'll have to see for yourself. And I bet there are a few, like myself who know all the words by heart. The reason I love that movie so much is that Mark Seymour is my George Bailey. (don't tell this to Mark, he hates that movie)

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Mark and Chris!

We're glad to read the encouraging reports and want to ask you, Mark, to PLEASE GET WELL and then spend the rest of your life taking extra good care of your dear Christine (as she has of you...).

Chris, we "almost" got to meet you this month, and are looking forward to another try. God bless you and we thank you for all you are doing.

With love to both of you,

(Cousin) Susan & Jim

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris -

Thank you for the update. I try to be patient, because I know you're busy and overwhelmed and doing your best to keep us informed in the middle of Life and Supporting Mark, but when the updates are slow, I start to fret.

This news about Mark is the best Christmas present I could have imagined.

(Hey, Mark - you don't gotta be so DRAMATIC, eh?)

Looking forward to a phone call a the *most* inconvenient time possible.

--Kat and Ben

ben_okopnik said...

Christine wrote:
When I talked to the resident yesterday, he told me that Mark had his bleed in a very delicate area that most people don't survive.

Yeah, but this is *Mark*. The average flu or appendicitis isn't good enough for him - he's got to do something strange enough that most people can't even pronounce it. :)

Mark, I suggest you follow my and Kat's lead in _eating_ strange stuff from odd places rather than _getting_ odd stuff in strange places. Really, it works so much better (plus you get to visit some fun restaurants instead of having people stick sharp things into you.)

Hurry up and get well, and if you're a good boy, I'll bring you some harsmar (private joke) from New York's Chinatown. :)))

-- Ben

Dick Seymour said...

I don't know why I have been reluctant to comment much before. It may have been because I had so much more opportunity to squeeze your hand and tell you how I felt (even though it wasn't always clear that you heard me.) Anyway, if you were hearing then, we are committed to a vacation together some place where the water and air are warm and clear and the fish are pretty. I sure have missed our almost daily emails -- and reading the Rico Rants blog. I will be there at your side (hopefully in rehab) on 2 January and will stay as long as I can help. Meanwhile, we'll all try to have as happy a holiday season as possible and will be thinging of you constantly.

Evil stepmother and Dad

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this again...

I haven't been able to comment for some reason, don't know if it's got something to do with verizon acting horribly here...

Mark, stay strong bro, I'm looking forward to hearing your leers and humorous words of "expression" that could only be Mark Seymour. I've only known you for a year or so, but you're definitely a person of the quality and depth that one like myself enjoys interacting with and learning from...as well as teaching,"hardhead!",LOL.

We have much work to do when you're better...

Just know that you're thought of constantly and in our prayers. Mom send her prayers and Get Well wishes also bro.

See ya soon!

"Evil Stepmother and Dad..." Dick you're hilarious!

Derrick

Anonymous said...

Also wanted to add...

Chris you're a true gem!

Mark is so blessed to have you for your love and on top of that you're knowledge and wisdom as to what's going on and what he needs to get through this.

God Bless you!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Derrick

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris and, of course, Mark. We are praying for you both on this Christmas Eve and hoping the the New Year will bring you both happiness and good health. Hang in there you two. Sharon