Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Evening

Mark was really uncommunicative today. His nurses were having a difficult time waking him during their every four hour check ups.

But the story began the end of last week when he was transferred to the other side of the floor, the non ICU. His nurse asked (sorry if this embarrasses you Mark, but its all part of the story) if Mark had had a BM. I told her he had two that I know of since his admission. I also told her that if I’d known this was information I was to track, they should have told me. She decided to help nature along and began him on laxatives. That was the 23rd and it seemed to work right away. She was also very upset that she couldn't find evidence of his prior "movements" in his chart. The very next day, when I stopped by to see Mark after Christmas Eve dinner, I was surprised to find that he had an episode of diarrhea and no one had noticed. When his nurse came in, he thought it was a good thing because he also was under the impression that Mark had still not gone. The indignant nurse from the night before had not noted this in his chart. And of course when Alan visited Mark last night, he had gone once or twice again! After I talked to Alan on Christmas night, I called the nurses station and told them not to give Mark any more laxatives. I also asked that they check his “feeding formula” and if it was a milk product, maybe they should try something else just in case he has become lactose intolerant. When I got there today I made sure that everyone heard me ask that his laxatives be stopped.

So, now his electrolytes are off balance from the diarrhea and they have been giving him sodium. And he’s been sleeping all day. He did open his eyes a few times with much prodding, and not for very long, but he did squeeze my hand a lot and always is able to pucker up for a kiss. They didn’t seem too worried about the sleepiness and evidently don’t think it’s from pressure, and they don’t think he’s having trouble with his shunt, and haven’t sent him for a CAT scan. So I suppose that’s a good thing.

AND THEY MOVED THE VENTILATOR OUT OF HIS ROOM! Four or five days to rehab (keep your fingers crossed).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris - This is Mark's friend pete can I stop by to see him anytime this week. if so call me on my cell. The number is in Mark's cell?

Anonymous said...

Chris -

SO SO SO very glad you're there to be Mark's advocate.

--Kat & Ben

Anonymous said...

So typical that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing and they are only making his condition worse. I hope you let the advocate know about the nurse's sloppiness in keeping Mark's chart updated with the critical things....like bodily functions which let everyone know how the whole system is working. Keep up the good work Chris.....take care, love Kit

Anonymous said...

Chris - Did I read that right? The NURSE decided to give him a laxative? When she didn't even know his history? As we say in Louisiana - Run her (or his) ass off, send her to the house, but get rid of her.